Here are some discussion questions, a brief introduction to the novel and a short bio on Murdoch. This link should bring an excerpt. This book is studied by Jane Smiley in her book 13 Ways of Looking at a Novel.
Oh, here's a quick treat -- Martin Amis on Iris Murdoch. Yesss!
- Reading Guide | The Sea, The Sea | Iris Murdoch
- The Flaying of Marsyas by Titian : collection of images
- Titian: The Flaying of Marsyas : closeup
- Article on the painting printed in the British Journal of Psychotherapy
- Who was Marsyas? according to Bulfinch
- Titian: Perseus and Andromeda :: The one with the sea monster
- How Tom Phillips painted the portrait of Dame Iris Murdoch (with the Titian as background)
- Great photo of Phillips painting Murdoch
- Plato's Theory_of_Forms
- Literary Encyclopedia:: Introductory plot outline (partial )
- Iris Murdoch in Wikipedia
- A Biographical essay
- BBC Audio Interviews : Iris Murdoch speaks!
- A Review and a collection of links
- Becoming Good: NYTimes Review
- The Corruption of Love - NY Review of Books (intro only)
- UK Amazon Reviews
- US Amazon Reviews
** NB: The movie of THE NAMESAKE is opening soon, directed by Mira Nair. The trailer was fabulous and the buzz is great.
In April, we're going for Milan Kundera's Unbearable Lightness of Being . Here's the Guide and of course, the movie. (Daniel Day-Lewis, so what can be bad!)