10.14.2013

MAY WE BE FORGIVEN by A.M. Homes


Background information for A. M. Homes and May We Be Forgiven.

I discovered A. M.  Homes within the past year; her fiction is just a perfect fit for me.  I'll give you some background references, but also just a word about why Homes is my choice.

I've been drawn to absurdist, slightly off-beat novels all my life.  I grew up in Indianapolis and sort of cut my teeth on Kurt Vonnegut.  It's possible that if you grow up female, and a Unitarian, in Indiana in the 1950s absurdism is about the only form of writing that really resonates!  Once I read the first A.M. Homes novel, I immediately read another and will continue on through her books. 

I find that when I recommend novels to others, they are apt to be totally turned off by the characters that are compelling to me.  Notice I didn't say I thought highly of the characters. . .just that they work for me.  I'll be interested to hear what you all think!

So, with that preamble, if you'd like to read more about A. M. Homes, try a couple of websites –  www.amhomesbooks.com to learn about her body of work. If you're interested, she has written  a memoir, The Mistress's Daughter, which I'm currently reading.  So, I'll be able to give you a few biographical details that seem to be key to her writing.  

Susanne

Several more links (couldnt resist):

No comments: